I can’t decide what to call this. I didn’t do a whole lot of anything in Taitung. I spent a lot of time wandering around and drinking coffee, but that’s not much of a surprise. It was cold and rainy most of my time there, but the last day was really nice.
I wandered through Tie Hua Music Village admiring the hundreds of lanterns then made my way down to the beach to watch the waves. I went to a bookstore to look at everything I couldn’t read and still avoided eating like the plague because it was intimidating.
It sounds like I didn’t enjoy it all that much, but I did. I was still in my funk here. It was an enjoyable little place and I finally found an ATM that worked with my card. Thank you, Western Union. My hostel/B&B/Guesthouse was awesome and the people were really friendly. I would definitely go back. I’m glad I didn’t skip it. Although, I’m not even sure why I went there so long in the first place. I just had to go to get to Lanyu.
- You can get here easily from Hualien and Taipei by train.
- Find a place to stay in the city if you want to explore it a lot. It can be annoying getting to the city center from near the train station every day. I did love my hostel though, I’m Here B&B, I would highly recommend it.
- It can get really chilly in the winter, prepare for that just in case. Or check the weather ahead of time.
- Hang around Tie Hua Music Park until it’s dark to see the lanterns lit up.
- If it’s warm, maybe not in the winter, bring a towel and hang out at the beach. It’s an easy walk from the city and Tie Hua. The water was rough when I was there, so be cautious, but bring a book to read or just take a nap in the sun.
Have you been to Taitung? What did you think of it?