There are affiliate links in here. If you purchase anything through them I get a tiny commission at no extra cost to you.
Tulum was the second ruin site I visited on my trip, also in Mexico, and they were totally different than Coba. These were all open and oceanfront. I have to say, I liked Coba better. It felt a lot more adventurous. BUT I saw way more wildlife at Tulum. And by way more, I mean there were lizards everywhere. But guess what? I’m a horrible animal spotter.
I mean really bad. I have to actually look, I can never just happen upon one. It’s a shame. Luckily, I did spot quite a few, I mean at least ten. Does that count as a lot? Tulum is pretty large. Like, way more than ten lizards large. I was better at this in the Galapagos.
Read these books about Mexico before your visit!
We spent a few hours wandering among the ruins, admiring the views, before heading out to the shops to get some food. The shops were your average tourist souvenir shops, so nothing special. Other markets in the area are probably much more worth visiting, but it was a good way to waste some time and we even saw a coati wandering around.
I even caught two of the elusive lizards on camera. There are two beaches that are part of the ruins ( I think?) But they were both closed the day I was there. If they were the ones above though, they’re pretty small, smaller than I was expecting at least. Overall, Tulum wasn’t my favorite, but it was still cool to see and I enjoyed it, even though it was ridiculously windy.
- You can catch a bus here easily from Cancun. Just make sure on the way back that you’re at the right bus station. If you’re not sure, ask at the one right by the entrance to the ruins.
- It is really hot here. Bring a reusable water bottle so you don’t have to buy a thousand plastic ones.
- Don’t forget sunscreen, it’s tough here.
- Like most places, avoid crowds by going early or later in the evening.
- They have plenty of food options there. If you’re on a tight budget, bring snacks.
Have you been to Tulum? What did you think of it?