I’ve had a draft of this saved forever. I wasn’t really sure what to write. I think the Pingxi Lantern Festival is tough to put into words. It was chaotic and it was dreamy. I never thought that many people could fit on a train at once. The pictures aren’t very good and they don’t really do it justice. But I’ll let them try. This was Pingxi.
- Register ahead of time if you want to be part of the main lantern releases, but you can launch your own anytime at the train station or lots of shops.
- Take the MRT to the Taipei Zoo then the shuttle from there. It’s a LOT faster than taking the train.
- If you do want the train experience, take the MRT to Taipei Main Station, get a train to Ruifang, from there it’s easy. Follow the people, take the Pingxi line to Pingxi. There’s signs and lines, but be ready to fight for a space on the train and for lots of waiting. Give yourself extra time if you go this way.
- Wear pants and a sweatshirt or jacket, it gets chilly.
- Go to the bathroom before you get there. The port-a-potty’s were super gross.
- If you plan on using a tripod for pictures get there super early. We got there a few hours before it started and there was already a ton of people around the launch area with tripods set up.
- It’s free! But bring money to eat and for trains of course.
- Enjoy! And feel free to ask me any questions you have about it!
Have you been to the Pingxi Lantern Festival? What did you think of it? What about another lantern festival? Do you want to go?