There are affiliate links in here. If you purchase anything through them, I get a tiny commission at no extra cost to you. It helps keep me on adventures and this blog running.
Our first little Florida adventure for the winter was a little day trip to St. Augustine and Anastasia State Park. We started off at Anastasia where we relaxed in the sun and I wandered around looking at shells. After that we went to explore Castillo de San Marcos and enjoy the shops on the little old streets. I tried writing this post out like usual and just wasn’t digging it, so I wanted to St. Augustine bucket list and include tips for visiting.
Tips for visiting St. Augustine:
- It’s the perfect weekend getaway in Florida, but it also makes a great day trip if you’re in the area.
- It can get pretty hot, so bring water if you’re going to the beach or walking around.
- If it’s not too windy, pack a lunch to enjoy on the beach in Anastasia State park or on St. Augustine Beach.
- If you plan on laying out at the beach but don’t want to lug around a big beach towel, turkish towels are the perfect alternative. They’re light, compact (compared to a regular towel), and dry fast.
- Do a little coffee shop hopping in the old city area.
- Go there hungry if you want to try all the goodies in the old city. If you don’t want to, make sure you eat before you go. The delicious smells are tempting and made me want to eat everything.
- You can use your annual national park pass to get into Castillo de San Marcos.
- Definitely wear sunscreen to the beach and if you’ll be walking around town all day.
- If there are tours you know you want to do, consider booking ahead to make sure you can actually do them.
- Anastasia State Park entrance is $8. You can pay with cash or card.
- There are 139 campsites for tents and RVs.
- Reservations can be made up to 11 months in advance at ReserveAmerica and it is around $28 a night.
St. Augustine Bucket list:
- Camp at Anastasia State Park
- Go on a ghost tour
- Ride the trolley (or take the haunted trolley tour)
- Explore Castillo de San Marcos
- Cafe hop and find the best coffee in St. Augustine
- Wander the streets and shops of the St. George and the Old City
- Get coffee from Kookaburra
- See it at Christmas with all the lights up
- Eat at The Floridian
- Relax on St. Augustine Beach
- Visit Wolf’s Museum of Mystery
Have you been to St. Augustine? What do you think of it? What is your favorite thing to do there? Do you want to go?