This content has been created in partnership with Hotels.com
Over the last year I’ve published a lot of bucket lists for specific states and regions around the US and a few countries I’ve been to like Taiwan, Japan, and the Philippines. I decided to switch things up on bucket lists for a bit (don’t worry, some other countries are still coming) and doing a few US cities!
First up is a killer New Orleans bucket list. I’ve got it broken down into a general things to do in New Orleans bucket list and a must-try food in New Orleans bucket list for a little easier browsing. But first. . .
You’re going to want to find an awesome hotel in New Orleans to make your stay even better and there are so many cool options. The Mansion on Royal is a nice bed and breakfast in the Faubourg Marigny area and it’s perfect if you want something cozy.
If you want to stay somewhere that looks very hip and modern, The Old No. 77 Hotel & Chandlery in the Central Business District is perfect for you. If you’re looking for great views in the Central Business District, the Loews New Orleans Hotel is great.
Finally, the French Quarter. If you want to stay in this iconic location there tons of amazing options like the Place d’Armes Hotel, the Hotel Provincial, the French Market Inn (great for families,) the Hotel St. Marie (with cute little balconies with street views), or the Hotel Mazarin (close to Bourbon Street, perfect if you like nightlife.)
For real, they have some cute hotels and if you love exposed brick, almost all of these have it. It’s hard to go wrong and it’s making me want to go there sooner than later.
If you do decide to travel right now, please do so safely and at your own risk. Wear a mask, wash and sanitize regularly, check any government regulations before going, and book accommodations with flexible cancellation policies, just in case.
General New Orleans Bucket List
First up we have our regular New Orleans bucket list. This is where you’ll find the best things to do in New Orleans including museums, festivals, parks, squares, shopping, historic sites, and more.
- See Marie Laveau’s house
- Visit the St. Louis Cathedral
- Experience the nightlife of Bourbon Street
- Visit Mardi Gras World
- Visit during Mardi Gras
- Visit the 1850’s house
- Explore the French Market
- See Jackson Square
- Wander Magazine Street
- Do a Voodoo ghost tour
- Explore Audubon Park
- Do a haunted vampire tour
- kayak the swamps
- Experience New Orleans like a local on Frenchman Street
- Do a ghost tour of the French Quarter
- Ride the streetcar
- Visit the Whitney Plantation
- Tour the St. Louis Cemetery #1, the oldest cemetery in New Orleans
- See the Coven House from American Horror Story
- Visit the Evergreen Plantation
- Attend the Jazz and Heritage Festival
- Admire the architecture in the Garden District
- Visit Laura Plantation
- Do a swamp airboat tour
- Take a ride on Steamboat Natchez on the Mississippi River
- See the colorful shotgun houses
- Enjoy some live jazz on Frenchman Street
- See Oak Alley Plantation
- Visit Lafayette Cemetery #2
- Tour the New Orleans Pharmacy Museum
- Enjoy some art at the Sydney and Walda Besthoff Sculpture Garden
- Take the Canal Street Ferry to Algiers
- Do a horse drawn carriage tour in the French Quarter
- See the New Canal Lighthouse
- Enjoy some jazz at the Preservation Hall
- Visit the Backstreet Cultural Museum
- Visit the Museum of Death
- Visit the Bayou Sauvage National Wildlife Refuge
- Stop at the Hollygrove Market and Farm
- Explore the New Orleans Museum of Art
- Enjoy the Spotted Cat Music Club
- Relax in Crescent Park
- Enjoy interactive art at Studio Be
- Visit New Orleans Jazz National Historic Park
- See Lake Pontchartrain
- See the Singing Oak in City Park
- Check out William Faulkner’s home at 624 Pirate’s Alley
- Check out the Cabildo
- Visit the Longue Vue House and Gardens
- Explore the Marigny neighborhood
- Visit the National WWII Museum
- Check out local made goods at the Frenchman Art Market
- Go to a Saints Game
- Attend the New Orleans Literary Festival
- Admire the Mardi Gras masks at Crescent City Mask Co.
- Visit the Crescent City Farmers Market
- See Truman Capote’s home at 711 Royal Street
- Attend Hogs for the Cause
- Admire the mansions on St. Charles Ave.
- Get lost in the books at Faulkner House Books
New Orleans Food Bucket List
Now for the deliciously tempting New Orleans food bucket list. I’m about ready to hop in my car and drive over there right now after putting this list together!
- Attend Beignet Fest, a festival for beignets!
- Enjoy the breweries in the Irish Channel
- Try crawfish
- Enjoy a King Cake between January 6 and the day after Mardi Gras ends
- Order beignets at Cafe du Mond
- Eat some Po Boys
- Try the beignets at Cafe Beignet
- Visit the Southern Food and Beverage Museum
- Enjoy the offerings at St. Roch Market
- Get a Vieux Carre from the place it was invented, the Carousel Bar
- Get an ice cream flight from Creole Creamery
- Visit the Museum of the American Cocktail
- Get brunch at Antoine’s Restaurant
- Try shrimp and alligator sausage cheesecake at Jacques-Imo’s
- Have a Cajun-Creole brunch at Willa Jean
- Enjoy some free oysters and live music on a Friday night at Le Bon Temps Roule
- Try a matcha beignet at The Vintage
- Get a Muffaletta at Central Grocery Deli
- Enjoy some Banana’s Foster
- Try bread pudding
- Try a double chocolate bread pudding at Red Fish Grill
- Get fried chicken at Willie Mae’s Scotch House
- Try a Samoa donut at District Donuts. Sliders. Brew. (Yes, like the Girl Scout cookie!)
- Go to a crawfish boil at Bevi Seafood Co.
- Try the iconic dish, Jambalaya, at Mother’s
- Get yourself some shrimp and grits
- Try praline bacon at Elizabeth’s
- Get some gumbo at Galatoire’s
- Indulge in a Brûléed cinnamon roll at District Hand Pie and Coffee Bar
- Try catfish at Commander’s Palace
Have you been to New Orleans? What is your favorite thing to do/eat there? Do you want to go?