There are affiliate links in here. I get a small commission if you purchase through them at no extra cost to you.
It’s been a while since I did a bucket list post and today feels like a good day to make one. I decided to do a giant Mexico bucket list today and I am very excited about it.
I’ve done a few of these things in my brief time visiting Mexico, but there are soooo many other incredible things to do there and I want to do all of them.
I would love to go back and see more of Mexico outside of the Cancun area. I want to eat all the food, vegetarian and not, see all the things, go all the places. And there are so many Mexico tours that look amazing, which doesn’t help!
I broke this down into a Mexico City bucket list and a rest-of-Mexico bucket list. It’s a pretty solid mix of outdoors, culture, museums, towns, and interesting experiences.
This one has a bit more variety than some other bucket lists that I have that are more outdoor focused.
This isn’t necessarily a definitive list of the best things to do in Mexico, but sort of functions as a personal bucket list.
It’s things I would want to do myself (with a few exceptions, like diving) but also a guide and place to start when planning a trip to Mexico. I am not a Mexico expert, just someone that really wants to see a lot of it.
Travel Services I Recommend:
AllTrails – This is my favorite hike tracking app.
America the Beautiful – The national park pass is essential.
Booking.com – This is great for finding and booking hotels.
Get Your Guide – I recommend Get Your Guide for booking tours.
National Park Obsessed – This is the best national park planner.
Skyscanner – Skyscanner is great for finding and booking flights.
Enterprise – This is my rental car recommendation.
See all my resources here.
Mexico City bucket list
I’ll start with the Mexico City bucket list. Mexico City looks so beautiful and I would love to visit someday. This section will include things to do in Mexico City and a few day trips from Mexico City.
- Visit the Frida Kahlo Museum
- Visit Xochimico, the weird doll island
- See Teotuhuacan by hot air balloon
- Eat at La Gruta Cave restaurant
- Visit Frida Kahlo Park
- Visit the Tolantongo Caves
- Visit the National Museum of Pop Culture
- Wander the Coyoacan Artisan Market
- See the Templo Mayor Ruins
- Walk down the possibly haunted Callejon del Aguacate
- Visit the Tamayo Contemporary Art Museum
- Visit the Diego Rivera Anahuacalli Museum
- Walk around Chapultepec Park
- Go to the Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve
- Take a ride on the Xochimilco Canals
- Visit the Museum of Popular Art
- See the Mexico National Museum of Anthropology
- Explore Barrio Chino
- See Casa de Azulejos
- Visit Palacio de Bellas Artes
- Do a mezcal tasting
- Visit the Mexico City National Art Museum
- See Chapultetpec Castle
- Visit the Sonora Witch Market
- Hike Los Dinamos
- Visit the Museum of Antique Toys
- Browse the San Juan Market
- See a Lucha Libre wrestling match
- Peruse the Ciudadela Market
- Visit the Cuicuilco Archaeological Zone
Mexico bucket list
- Ride the Copper Canyon train
- Snorkel at the underwater museum
- Visit Peublo
- Visit Cholula
- Relax on the beach in Playa del Carmen
- Climb the Coba ruins
- Take a cooking class
- Visit Chichen Itza
- Visit the Tulum Ruins
- Visit Isla Contoy
- Relax on the beach in Cozumel
- Visit Isla Holbox
- See San Miguel de Allende by hot air balloon
- Relax on the beach in San Pancho
- Visit the Palenque ruins
- See the waterfalls in Palenque
- Go to the Mummy Museum in Guanajuato
- Snorkel in Akumal
- Explore Oaxaca
- Experience Dia de los Muertos
- See the yellow town, Izamal
- Visit the Vallarta Botanical Gardens
- Relax on Isla Mujeres
- Go cenote hopping
- See flamingos at the Celestun Biosphere Reserve
- Watch the Ballet Folklorico
- Dive in Cenote Dos Ojos
- See the El Chiflon waterfalls
- Take a food tour
- Wander around Merida
- Visit the Uxmal Ruins
- Visit the Puebla Tunnels
- Wander around Campeche City
- Visit San Cristobal de las Casas
- Swim with whale sharks
- Explore colorful Guanajuato
- Do a tequila tasting
- Relax on the beach in Sayulita
- Climb Nevado De Toluca
- Enjoy Bacalar Lagoon
- Visit Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve
- Visit Tepoztlan
- Go trekking in the Sierra Norte Mountains
- See Jose Clemente Orozco’s murals in Guadalajara
- Take a weaving class in Oaxaca
- Go on a whale watching tour
- Visit Sumidero National Park
- See Hierve El Agua
Bucket list posts
Have you been to Mexico? What was your favorite thing you did or saw there? Anything I should add to my list?